Plastic free: Shopping Bags
Food reserves were getting perilously low. It was time to embark on my first grocery shopping adventure since pledging to not let any new plastic into my life as of January 1st. But what would I put my groceries in?
Using plastic grocery bags is probably as unconscious to you as blinking.
It used to be to EnviroWoman, too. But no more.
Long ago, I used to often feel overwhelmed by all the plastic bags that would accumulate in my personal recycling bins. I’d take them back to the grocery store for recycling, but they just kept following me home. Plus, they were like Tribbles from the original Star Trek…they appeared to have the capacity to asexually reproduce exponentially.
I finally couldn't take it anymore. So after many months of searching, I happened upon a wire shopping basket at Motiv for $25. I’ve been using it ever since. It’s a bit heavy, and I wish it had foam covering the handles so it didn’t dig into your arm. But those are small prices to pay for reducing non-biodegradable garbage.
For larger shopping trips there’s always paper or cloth bags — more earth-friendly alternatives to plastic.
Right now I’m on the hunt for biodegradable shopping bags so watch for future updates. And if you know of a source, please post a comment.
Here's a GREAT video: PLASTIC PLANET: THE CURSE OF THE CARRIER BAG
And here’s a great blog with news of campaigns around the world to eliminate single use plastic bags.
I finally couldn't take it anymore. So after many months of searching, I happened upon a wire shopping basket at Motiv for $25. I’ve been using it ever since. It’s a bit heavy, and I wish it had foam covering the handles so it didn’t dig into your arm. But those are small prices to pay for reducing non-biodegradable garbage.
For larger shopping trips there’s always paper or cloth bags — more earth-friendly alternatives to plastic.
Right now I’m on the hunt for biodegradable shopping bags so watch for future updates. And if you know of a source, please post a comment.
Here's a GREAT video: PLASTIC PLANET: THE CURSE OF THE CARRIER BAG
And here’s a great blog with news of campaigns around the world to eliminate single use plastic bags.